Briefing participants of our project in the best practice for taking samples.
PROMOTING SUSTAINABLE LAND
USE SYSTEMS IN
Demonstration of Plant Tissue Testing Sampling
Demonstration of Tissue sampling with Darren Mc Cormack (Murray Goulbourn, Kiewa, Pivot/Incitec Agronomist)
John Maddock’s Property, Bryant’s Gap Road, Tallangatta
Tuesday 18th September, 2007, 4:15pm
If you are coming
PLEASE BRING YOUR SOIL SAMPLE to give to
Darren (Darren will be sending the soil samples away as a group, to facilitate payment and recommendations) please remember your corer/sampler for returning to D.P.I.
Soil Sampling and Testing
Remember we would like soil samples from demonstration sites returned on Tuesday 18. If you are unable to attend Maddock’s please contact Janice to pick them up.
Simplified Guidelines for Soil Testing:
Please read instructions supplied, the following is a rough guide:
- Take with you to the paddock :- CLEAN bucket, corer/sampler, sample bag
- In the paddock take 30 cores, in a zig zag fashion across the paddock, push in 10cm
- Do not sample on tracks, in cow pads, in high fertility/cattle congregating areas, on fence lines …… the aim is to get a general, but random representative sample.
- Put each core in the bucket – throw out surface vegetation
- Mix them all together
- Fill up the bag to the line (about 500 gm)
- Return rest of soil to paddock
- Keep soil sample in the fridge until collected
Please remember to record details of any activities you perform on your demonstration sites or any unusual phenomena that occurs to them. It would be useful to have dates and what you do or observe – eg grazed off with cows and calves Sept 15-28 , establishment patchy … etc….
In the Pipe-Line/Planning
We are planning to have an evening with an independent Agronomist to help with interpretation and discussion of soil and plant tissue test results. Visits by an agronomist to demo sites may also be a possibility.
For your general interest: Climate Change Seminar
Wed 19 September, 9.00-1.15pm Beechworth
RSVP CMA 02 60437600
Want a lift? - Janice planning to attend 60 710280
The program would benefit from more participants, please bring any interested friends and neighbours along to any of the gatherings.
Any queries/questions? Janice 02 60710280