The Camperdown Timboon Rail Trail Steering Committee was established in 1994 and the Rail Trail was officially opened in 2009. It is owned by the Victorian Government (Department of Sustainability and Environment) and is currently managed by a government appointed Committee of Management. The Camperdown Timboon Railway line was officially opened on the 5th April, 1892 after 3 years of construction. The line was built to serve the pioneers of the Heytesbury Forest - farmers, saw millers and merchants. The original plan included continuing the line to Port Campbell. This did not occur due to governments cutting spending during the Depression times in the 1890’s.