Jarrahmond Landcare Group takes pride in maintaining the Jarrahmond Avenue of Honour in partnership with the RSL and the Jarrahmond community, on behalf of those families who planted it and for the reasons they did so. The Avenue was planted in 1955 and linked the farms of the two servicemen from Jarrahmond who lost their lives in WWII. It consisted of English Oaks interspersed with flowering peaches and cherries.
Jarrahmond Landcare Group contacted the Orbost RSL sub-branch in 1999 after hearing the RSL had plans to add a monument to Jarrahmond’s B Rd Avenue of Honour. The RSL obtained funding from the Federal Dep’t of Veterans Affairs’ commemorative grant “Their Service, Our Heritage”. The grant required partnerships with other community groups and the Jarrahmond Landcare Group’s offer of assistance was welcomed.
The Avenue of Honour in 2001 consisted of an avenue of English Oaks with 2 deteriorating blossom trees - a flowering cherry and a flowering peach. The Landcare Group cleaned up the area and pruned where necessary, added a cattle guard around the monument and agreed to do the ongoing maintenance of the site. The Landcare Group also arranged with East Gippsland Shire Council to install an “Historical Marker” sign on the roadside to indicate the location of the monument.
The monument was erected by the RSL and consists of a plaque recording the history of Jarrahmond and the Avenue and an Honour Roll listing the 15 young men from Jarrahmond who served in WW11. The unveiling of the monument and the dedication of the Jarrahmond Honour roll was held on April 16th, 2002 on B RD, Jarrahmond.
Those interested in reading the history and the details on the monument and honour roll should look in the photo album on this site entitled Jarrahmond Avenue of Honour and enlarge the appropriate image for easier viewing.