Bald Hills -Creswick Landcare group no longer involved in project
1852 - Commissioners camp established in Creswick.
1869 - Crown grant made to the Borough of Creswick for land to be used as a botanical reserve in perpetuity.
1889 - "Park Lake" was born and became a place of great beauty.
1922- Park Lake fell into a state of disrepair and negelect
In the early 21st century a dedicated group of volunteers formed the "Friends of Park Lake" and restoration work began.
BHCL (Bald Hills, Creswick Landcare group) became involved with our first working bee in April 2012 clearing invasive wattles and weeds. As part of the ongoing restoration, Friends of Park Lake approached Dr Kevin Tolhurst to prepare a plan for the undeveloped area on the northeast boundary of the reserve. Dr Tolhurst based his design on the original concept of George Perrin, Conservator of Forests 1888.
To facilitate the site prepration BHCL applied to FRRR, (Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal) and received a grant of $20K.
Work to clear the site started in May 2013 with the felling of non-indigenous trees in preparation for contractors to mulch all on site material with the exception of selected indigenous plants.
It is anticipated that the first tree planting on the site will happen with the planting of a row of lilly-pilly in autumn 2014. Further planting will be undertaken after site remedial work and weed control is completed.