Main Creek Catchment Landcare is an active group of landholders interested in promoting sustainable land and water management practices that balance economics and ecology, productivity and resource protection.
We aim to:
• Promote community understanding and awareness of Peninsula natural resources
• Provide information in areas of local interest through regular seminars, workshops, newsletters, and other community activities
• Improve the local environment by: restoration and conservation of remnant indigenous vegetation and native animal habitats, eradicating weeds and feral animal species, and improving the health of local waterways.
We have carried out a number of works and projects since 2006 with several successes, including:
• Establishing and enhancing biolinks between remnant vegetation regions – here we are working with other local Landcare groups to establish an extended biolink for indigenous species across the Peninsula
• Active participation in Waterwatch with responsibility for testing at two sites on Main Creek
• Weeding and restoration of degraded sites, a recent major activity has been the rehabilitation of a severe karamu infestation along Meakins Rd.